Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Updates from the blog ....day 331+

First I must update the status of my package. You know the one I have been holding hostage until I get proof that my husband actually owns a helmet and flak. Well.. it has been mailed...yippee !! I figured that it was the least I could do. After all, it was Valentines Day  and I was sure to receive something.  So, off I went to stand in line to mail him his goodies. I caved... I have yet to see proof of the items in question, but I had to show him I loved him... Now, I wait to see if it pays off and he posts some pics of the above mentioned items on his person. The post office was all all that I had described previously, there were several Marines holding the tape dispenser waiting for that box tape fairy to arrive. There were Marines trying to pack and repack their items into small boxes just to save the $2.00 it costs to move up a box size. The small galley of a post office was packed with about eight people doing this while the line was fifteen Marines deep. I was blessed though... it only took thirty minutes. I had fifteen Marines in front of me that were all missing some form of mailing address, custom form, or packing material and each time they got to the counter they were denied and sent to fix themselves. This enabled me to get to the front of the line quick.... I did silently feel bad for them all when I, prepared as I was, forgot to put my return address on my packages. I believe the mailman knew I might go postal should he have me step to the side to complete my error so he very kindly gave me his pen to mark my box at the counter. There are small miracles right???

Second I must share my gesture of adoring love by my husband. He sent flowers via proflowers.com. I love that he ignores me when I say "please honey you do not have to send flowers." They are beautiful and the card he dictated is also beautiful. However, the best thing he did and the grand gesture was his blog post. He wrote about our first time meeting and our first date.  From his viewpoint it sounds so romantic.... we were after all just teenagers and we all know how awkward those years were. Here is the link, you will need to copy and paste into your browser.
http://sablaninafghanistan.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-story-on-valentines-day.html

Last but not least, my geography skills have paid off... or at least I think so. Tony my youngest son says to me. "Did you know they have panther crossings by Dad's camp?" I think about this and ask... "Did Dad tell you this?" I am thinking, is there a large panther population in Afghanistan, should I Google this?  Do I need to now fear panther attacks along with terrorist attacks? Then Tony continues and says, " No Dad did not tell me, but on that map, it says Panther along a dotted line." "It shows the dotted line on the legend too." I go look at the map and sure enough there is a dotted line with the word Panther on it and the dotted line is indeed on the legend... I must now explain that it looks as if it may be the name for a road.... not a crossing for actual panthers. I am going to have to let Bill clarify, the legend is no help. It only names the dotted line as Panther which I could clearly see on the map.
So glad I could help point out to my son, that nope not Panthers.... ok I am secretly praying that is true!!!!


Bill-
You are now tasked with 2 items from Sablan house. First, where are my pics of your flak and helmet... I do not need to see them sitting on the boulders near the tent. Second, do they have panthers where you are and is there really a crossing??

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I laughed so hard when I read this that I almost pee'd my pants! Tell my sweet boy that he has nothing to worry about. There are no "panthers" in Afghanistan! Secondly, I've got pictures of me in my gear that I will send you tonight. Love you, Honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. panther along the dotted line, haaa! ;-)

    ReplyDelete