I sit here tonight trying to think of something witty, something funny, something interesting. I am just blank! That is when I realized that over the weekend I forgot about a decision making tool I heard about a couple years back. It is referenced in a book called 10-10-10 by Suzy Welch. I heard her speaking during a talk show and her concept seemed so right. I have not read this book and now realize, maybe I should ( I hate self help books...prefer trashy romance). I have used her basic concept as a parenting tool as well as a life tool.
This is the gist of it; Is what you are doing going to matter in 10 minutes? In 10 months? In 10 years? I first used it as a tool for my oldest son when he was angry last year about everything. I would ask him those three questions and make him tell me how old he would be in 10 years and what he saw himself doing and whether what he was so mad about would truly matter then. This was also a very helpful tool after his friend had committed suicide. He was able to see how the impact was so massive and if only she had thought of the 10's maybe, just maybe, the outcome would have been different. He was able to see himself at 23 finishing college and starting his life. I needed him to see that. I hoped he could and I believe this concept helped us navigate some sad times.
The main reason I bring this up today is ...Why am I not using it now during Bill's deployment? Is Bill leaving going to impact us for 10 minutes? YES. Is it going to impact us for 10 months? YES! Is it going to impact us in 10 years??? I cannot see into the future, but you know what I see. I see Bill home after this deployment and us being a family again and in 10 years when Sal is graduating college, Sam and Tony are off in college and Cami is graduating high school.. this year will just seem like a distant memory. A time when he was off doing what he had to do and the kids and I were at home doing our thing.
I am going to remind myself of this easy rule more often. I must, I no longer have my sounding board aka Bill on speed dial. Over the weekend I was edgy and easily irritated by others. I was truly impacted by what they said and how they acted..and why??? After 10 minutes, it was a moot point...okay maybe not, so I will sneak in another 10..I call it 10 days. I know after 10 days...that what transpired over the weekend will just be a distant echo. I sure hope so. I hope that the people that offended me figure life out or leave me the heck alone.
A neighbor had a great saying.... she said I was not edgy or irritable... my bullshit meter was just full!!!
With that, I hope I can live by 10-10-10 and maybe another 10.... because my meter has exploded and is not being fixed any time soon.
Bill-
Seeing as how my meter has busted, I expect to see proof of helmet and flak... did you bring them?? did you lose them?? did you loan them out??? I do not think I buy the BS that you are completely safe.... you see if that was the case..you would be home next to me :)
BTW--- Mister the very old cat ....yep still kicking!!! He looks forward to your return or his flight to come live in Afghanistan with you!!!!
When you first told me about the 10-10-10 here in MO., I loved it and used it through some hard times...lets not forget it!! Stay tough!!
ReplyDelete10-10-10, by Suzy Welch...i might just have to check that out. ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhy does Bill have to deploy when you are not in Missouri??? It doesn't work for me. Just thought you should know. Love the "rule of 10's" or of 5's as I have converted it to my children. Miss you, miss your kids, miss your husband. Can't wait till that middle 10 loses the effect on you.
ReplyDelete