My life is getting busier and busier, hence my occasional days skipped blogging. Today was a typical Saturday with basketball, cheer and soccer. Originally I had seven games scheduled today... thank you god for the rain and that number dropped to four. I can do four and remain sane. I am pushing insanity with seven. The kids are currently dual sporting it, which I hate. I can not wait for basketball season to end, not because I do not enjoy watching the kids play, but because that means I only have to focus transportation for one sport per kid.
I only tell you about my day today becasuse my conversation with a fellow Marine wife at basketball brings up my mixed emotions. Here they come.
In my bubble, I do not follow any Marine movements other than my own Marine. I am not that wife that knows who/what battalion (BN) is going where and when. I do not know whom is stateside nor in combat. I know where Bill is and that is enough for me. From my friendships, I hear about who is home and who is away, but it is not knowledge I seek out nor keep track of. It is topics of conversation when we share information about our husbands. So if you ask me if 3/6 is home.. my answer is yes. I know this because I have a friend whose husband is with that BN and well he is home. ( ok... I did have to make sure that was the BN ...via the web). So you now see how lacking I am with military knowledge.
That being said, I had noticed over the last week that signs were being draped along the fences on HWY 24. These are 6ft high chain link fences surrounding the military base. These fences are meant to cordon off military land from foot traffic, but most importantly they are the wall to which all of us have hung a welcome home banner on. The fence becomes a beacon welcoming home troops from a job well done. It is also a reminder that it is not my Marine.. he just left. These are being hung for those he has replaced, by wives and families celebrating the return of a loved one. They are also reminders that some did not come home. The banners of welcome bring mixed emotions, joy for those returning, sorrow for those whom did not and sadness for those still waiting. I must be honest and say, I have felt all these emotions each day as I drive the highway. I have tried to ignore the signs a bit, these emotions truly press in on my bubble. My bubble holds strong and I know why... I am proud when I see these signs. These signs signify love, honor, courage and success. They make my heart skip, pride is powerful. Thank you Marines for a job well done, thank you for preparing my husbands area and providing him with a safer environment. Thank you families for supporting them and showing me that our pride is powerful and that, yes I can do this.
WELCOME HOME 2/9 and RCT2.... enjoy your families, laugh loudly and live!!! Celebrate not only for yourself but for those that did not return. They died a hero and you are their legacy!
Bill- The pride I have for you and your fellow Marines is overwhelming. Now I know you must come home. I truly think I will enjoy making an inappropriate sign for the fence. I know I will have fun thinking of something to say and well.. I think tacky and big should do the trick.... I only have 11 months to work on it... Betsy Ross has seen nothing!!!
I think if you would prefer to remain a one sign man... you might want to prove to me that you own a helmet and flak!!
;-)
ReplyDeletei thought you said you weren't going to blog on weekends anymore. ;-)
ReplyDelete