Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 325+ .... yep opsec and scare tactics... I have broken the rules..... or have I????

So upon reading another military wives blog which a friend posted on facebook. I am now shamed.... I have broken all rules of opsec.... according to this wife here they are..

OPSEC is a very important mandate, created to keep our military community safe. If you are in a relationship with a service member it is part of your job to uphold OPSEC. Here is what you need to know.
  1. Don’t discuss current or future destinations or ports of call. - This means EXACT locations. ie: Helmand Province Afghanistan, Fort Benning GA
  2. Don’t discuss current or future operations or missions. -Exact dates of departure and arrival, field ops, TAD’s etc
  3. Don’t discuss current or future dates and times of when Service members will be in port or conducting exercises.
  4. Don’t discuss readiness issues and numbers.
  5. Don’t discuss specific training equipment.
  6. Don’t discuss people’s names and billets in conjunction with operations.
  7. Don’t speculate about current or future operations.
  8. Don’t spread rumors about current, future, or past operations or movements.
  9. Don’t assume the enemy is not trying to collect information on you; he is.
  10. Be smart, use your head, and always think OPSEC when using email, phone, chat rooms and message boards. 
    this was also posted......

    How easy would it be to prey on military wives with deployed husbands? If you don’t follow Operational Security, They know your husband is gone. They know exactly where you’re stationed, and your last update said you were running to the mall today to get Christmas presents. It wouldn’t be hard for someone to find you, and harm you in some way?

    This is what I have to say:

    I have given my husbands name because I am proud to call him mine.
    I have said he is in Afghanistan and which Regiment he belongs to.  Wait... the news told everyone that RCT 8 replaced RCT 2.... does that mean I am to blame for that? 
    I have a countdown listed.. ok not an exact one.. I do have a plus sign because I truly do not know when.
    I have asked for confirmation regarding training equipment...helmet and flak. Thinking that truly the enemy would already think he had those items.
    As for me knowing any plans regarding past, present or future operations..... my husband knows better than to break opsec which was meant for him to abide by.  My husband also knows I like my bubble and providing me with any information that may pop it would be worse than breaking opsec.

    The scare tactic of reminding me not to assume the enemy is not trying to collect information on you; he is.  okay.... come on..... at what point do you truly need to place this on the list.. I do not fault her, I believe she stated this was from the department of defense. I just would like to have faith and believe that not every human being is out to get me. How could one live? How could one survive in such a world?
    The final is the  boogey man post.....come on..... it is hard enough for spouses to say goodbye...then you have to scare the crap out of them. Thanks... I may need some lunesta or ambien so I can sleep tonight. I will be sure to not go to the mall or shop in town... everyone is my enemy now.

    My bubble maybe naive. but I truly do not believe that my blog is going to provide the enemy with much information except that I love my husband and that he is a marine and that yes I am alone... wait I have four kids with me.... so I guess if they would like to come to my home... sure come on... I seriously doubt they will survive.
    I have to believe that I am safe and that my kids are safe, isn't that why my husband is not here. He is fighting for my safety..... if I do not believe that basic belief... than I would be miserable and angry that he is not home. I must believe.... so DOD and other wives and terrorist lurkers .... know this.... I am not in the know.. I do not care to be in the know...I am a housewife.... my life is boring....my life is average.... it is mine and trust me.... I WILL FIGHT FOR IT!!!!


    Bill--- while you and the women and men of the military fight for our freedoms.... our safety.... know that us wives here...we will fight for ours too.  We will keep your homes safe so you can return to hugs and kisses.


    personal disclaimer..... the above opsec rules need to be adhered by those that unfortunately do say too much. They are good rules... so please do your best. That is all one can ask...right???
    I believe in my fellow spouses and I believe as adults we will not bring harm to others by disclosing information on maneuvers and operations. If you know of any.... maybe you should join the military...it is not your job to be that well informed. It is your job to love your spouse, support your spouse, and to keep the home front safe.


6 comments:

  1. I want the Taliban to know that Major Dave Hart would be honored to have them walk into his office at ND for a one on one conversation. He is the midget dressed in the Marine uniform in the event they need clarification;)

    I get OPSEC...but come on...I think common sense applies. And I honestly believe that if Osama and his cronies are pulling information off of FB/Blogs he has some serious intel issues. I would make a much better spy if thats the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be a spy with you... could you picture us...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. "don't discuss destiniations, readiness, names, operations, exercises, movements, etc..." ??? I couldn't tell anyone any of that CRAP! I don't have a clue! They "enemy" would be bored with me quickly. I do however have a sticker on my car and that will stay, in support of my husband. I challenge anyone to follow me home. Mostly likely, I saw you following me 5 miles ago. I'm no dummy and ready to kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, forgot to tell you the opsec Post Office rule. I went to mail a package and I put "Afghanistan" as the destination country. The lady freaked out and quickly scratched it out saying "NEVER put the country of where our troops are- that's what FPO AP is for. We don't want the enemy knowing where the troops are." My response..."WHAAAAT? You mean they don't know we are in their country??? Well, they are dumber than we thought!" crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL... I love that the post office is such a high intelligence factor for our troops... I guess the US flag flying at each of the camps in Afghanistan is not a huge hi we are here sign.
    I applaud you for keeping your bumper sticker.. I think a home show offering us stun guns, tear gas and other weapons is what we should start!!! Can ya see it now... we could call it KAPP... kick ass personal protection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!!!! throw in a couple of "weapons" that hold batteries and we got ourselves a PAR-TAY!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete