Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rule #1 in Military spouse handbook: Day 356+

Rule # 1...(this is almost always the case and almost always happens within the first couple of weeks.) When your husband leaves be prepared for at least one major appliance to break or stop working all together. The bigger and heavier the better. We know that us women are strong and I think as a joke, the biggest ones break so we have no choice but to see... yes see if we can move it!  If we are unable to move it, yes, we try and fix it or at least diagnosis the problem before calling for help. We still believe we are capable of doing it all, for heaven sakes the deployment just started.
Since Bill has been gone a week, it did not shock me when my refrigerator stopped working. Thank goodness it is the one owned by base housing for which they must repair or exchange. It is also the one in my garage holding my mommy drinks! The repair man was here first thing Tuesday morning... yeah it is fixed! Nope!!! I had a wee bit to much faith that this could be so easy. Just to make sure I was challenged, my dishwasher stopped working. Do you have any idea how many dishes I have daily? I have 4 kids and yes I have actually been cooking. OK, frozen ravioli and sauce from a jar constitutes cooking right? This said, I turn into repairman mode. I can forget about the refrigerator,  that is beyond me. However, me faced with a sink full of dishes....hell ya I am gonna repair that appliance. I try running it and it just stops. I check for utensils blocking the seal..nope. I check the power..nope. I check the locking mechanism...yep! For some reason mine will not stay locked therefore turning the thing off mid cycle. I messed around with the door just long enough to get the load washed. You should know I did not have a long term goal in mind, I just did not want to hand wash an overfull dishwasher. Yippee me...I got it to wash the load by holding it shut!  Not sure how productive that was seeing as how I was stuck hanging around it for a half hour, but hey I did not have to scrub. Today I will be calling housing to check it out.
Like all good things everything happens in threes.... I am hoping that my third is this.... as I started to type this blog..my number 6 fell off my laptop. Looks intact I can see where it should attach right back on..nope! If anyone knows how to attach please let me know. I have a feeling my cat Stormy may just have found another toy!!!

Bill-- once again your goal is to stay safe. You asked me not to climb on ladders while you are away and I only ask that you stay behind a desk. Yes, you heard me... stay behind a desk and of course wear your helmet and your flak!

3 comments:

  1. i think that's a fair trade: you stay off ladders and him staying behind a desk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this post actually made me laugh out loud!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete