This is a short post to just share a bit of my ignorance to both military lingo and geography. As I posted previously, my geography skills are basic at best. When Bill said he was going to Afghanistan I thought oh ok , I have heard of that country in the news. I had a brief understanding of where it might be located and what was occurring in that region. I thought maybe it was by Iraq, I think if not by it at least near it. It has been over 30 years since I had geography..so hey I am close right? Keep in mind I have a Google map up as I am typing so I can refer back to it. I was told where Bill was going to be located, this is not top secret and then I was shown on a map where it is located. He is in Camp Delaram...Great! What they fail to realize that in my bubble I have to compare Afghanistan to something I can visualize in my head. This is the sad part.... I think it is like Rhode Island. Could I have picked a smaller state???? I have never visited Rhode Island, but I guess that is why my head decided on this one. I truly have no comparison at all. So, when Bill tells me where he is...I need to know if I am in the south part of RI or the north. Funny but true...Bill loves me enough to play this game and will truly describe his location based on my crazy....RI thoughts. Trust me this only gets worse.
Bill does share his work with me a bit, he tells me if it was a busy day and speaks his military lingo when describing an exercise etc. This lingo would be similar to me speaking in medical terms to a non medical professional. It is a foreign language and it is almost all acronyms. This being said, over the last couple of days during my non communication with Bill, he kept saying every time he tried to call he was in River City....hmmmm
Well... where is this River City... and how wild that a country like Afghanistan would have a city with such a normal sounding name, but hey it is like R.I. Hello..... this is where someone should be knocking on my forehead to see if I am home. I am angry that this place has no communication for my husband and I am concerned because I swear I have told him several times to not leave his desk and stay inside the camp. If he keeps going to River City...that means he is on the road right???
Go ahead...Google it.. I did... yep I typed in River City, Afghanistan. I will wait for you to come back after you read what it really is/means.
River City is a military jargon for a complete shut down of communications due to a loss of life and the military containing the spread of rumors etc..until the next of kin is notified.
Now, as much as I understand the needs for this to happen. I also now realize just how lacking I am in all skills related to geography and military lingo. Apparently, Bill did mention this apparent city to me and due to my aforementioned bubble.. that information would have been bounced away. It was about something I needed to not hear about, it was about death and or injury.
I am thinking this is going to be a educational ride for me over the next year.... what else did I completely miss!
Bill- stay out of River City... I do not like that location.. It no longer exists in RI to me. Keep your helmet and your flak on at all times. I am still awaiting pictures of you in the hooch as proof. (haha...used me some military lingo there). Mister will be on his way!!!!
Hi T!!
ReplyDeleteI never heard of River City either, so that is good info to know. When Jim was giving me the brief rundown on his assignment, he simply said if you don't hear from me, it probably means something has happened to someone and we've had to shut down all communications. He quickly followed this statement with "don't freak out and assume the worst" Who? Me...panic? Oh, yes I'll try to remember THAT piece of advice!!
I can't even imagine Jim being gone for a whole year! Kudos to you for surviving this journey, cause I know you will!
The blog is a great idea, I have two and they are great outlets for your thoughts. I look forward to reading and keeping up with you!
Dori
;-)
ReplyDeleteOOOMMMGGG! When clay said that he was in River City, I said did you have to convoy there, or fly? yes, of course I thought it was a place.
ReplyDeleteHe said "no, it's not a place, it's an exercise we do." Does he think that I'm THAT fragile that I can't handle the truth??!! I hope he calls today......