Sunday, June 5, 2011

Another celebration without DAD..........Day 221+

Today is my second child's 12th Birthday.... Happy Birthday Sammy !!!!
I remember his birth well, we moms always do. We share our stories with all pregnant women, but today I share this story with all of you because I am proud not for having a child, but proud of  that child for who he is and how he has grown.

Twelve years ago I was at Reseach Hospital in KC MO welcoming my bouncing baby boy into the world. I was welcoming him alone. I had my parents at my side but my husband was miles away. He was deployed, yet again, missing the moment of our baby's birth. I went into labor in the night and emailed my husband on board the USS Kearsarge. I figured what more could bug him but to receive an email from me saying I was enroute to the hospital... yep he is not a patient man. I figured it would be several hours before he got any communication from my family letting him know about the birth of his son. This is pre cell phones!!! I was so mean....LOL
I welcomed a healthy baby boy into the world early in the am and had my then sister in law send the email to Bill several hours later announcing his son's arrival. As family and friends from afar called my hospital room to congratulate me on the birth of my son,  a nurse came running in the room yelling at me..."your husband is on the phone and can not get in because you are on the line, get off so we can transfer". You would have thought he was the President of the U.S. seeing how excited my nurse was. Because I live hidden in my bubble during deployments, I had not been following the news. There was an event happening and my husband was heading toward it. He was calling from a CNN phone while climbing aboard a helo enroute to Kosovo.  Yep, these civilian nurses were hearing a helicopter and excessive commotion in the background and at that moment they were believers in the fight. The fight my husband and other members of the Corps so willingly do as a job. Keep in mind that at this point I did not know where he was headed nor did he let me know, he likes my bubble (this is when he only said watch the news honey). I was beaming when I heard his voice and crying at the same time. I knew he was beaming and I could not hold back the joy I had in telling him all about our bouncing baby boy who came into the world loved so deeply and rejoiced by his family. Bill, asked what his name would be... we had not finalized that one yet. I told him Sammy Jo.... ok I admit it, I let Sal make the decision and he was only two and a half years old. Hey... no judging here, I was alone and needed to keep myself mentally strong, I figured who better to decide between Sebastian and Sammy Jo than him right? Lets be honest, what name do you think a two and a half year old is even capable of saying. Yes, I will admit I blamed the oldest in case the dad from afar did not agree. LOL

That leads me to today twelve years later.....

I get a phone call from afar. It is my husband in Afghanistan calling to wish our boy a Happy Birthday. I beam and hide my tears. My son smiles big and laughs and then says I love you DAD! The life of a military child, accepting a call from the man he knows as dad and loves without conditions.... knowing Dad is celebrating with him even if he is not "with" him. It is at that moment today that I hug my child knowing he has grown with grace, honor and courage and is no longer my little boy but a young man. A young man accepting what life brings and smiling his bright big Sammy smile.
I love you Sammy.... I am blessed to be your mom, you are truly God's gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment